Monday 8 September 2008

Monday Memo: blurbs, collars and time.

Note to self: It can't be harder to write 200 than it is to write 20,000 words.

Hello everyone :)

This Monday's memo is, I'm sure a statement of fact.

A 200 word blurb should be easy to write. At 1% of the length of a novella, it should logically be 100 times easier.

Somehow it's not.

Which, sort of explains why I still have written a final version of the blurb for my new series - Collared.

The thing about Collared is it's going to cover a whole range of characters and situations. What's true about the collar in one story, may well not be true for the next story, so the blurb has got to have a lot of flexibility built into it.

This is my WIP blurb.

Leather. Latex. Silver. Gold. Ink. Velvet.

There are as many different shapes and styles of collar as there are people who wear them.

Protection. Possession. Dominance. Submission. Loyalty. Love.

Some collars mean it's time to play, others signify a life time commitment. A fun bit of bondage to one person can easily look like the kinky equivilant of a wedding ring to another. A gold necklace might look vanilla enough until you know what it means to the person wearing it.

But no matter what it's made of or what it represents. Collars are important. A collar can make or break the submissive wearing it - and the dominant who put it around their neck.

It doesn't matter if you are dominant or submissive. Everything changes once one person is Collared.

You're right. It does still need some work, but it's a start.

I'm also working on improving my Perfect Timing blurb. As it stands, I've got this:

Sometimes you meet the right person at the wrong time. Sometimes it takes an exceptional circumstance to make you realise the time has come. And sometimes you just have to wait to get for what you want.

But when the timing is perfect, anything could happen…

Needs a little something more in my opinion. Again, it's got to cover a lot of ground because the stories vary so much. I'll have to have another go at it some time.

What else?

Some time this week I'll also be writing my blurb for Whispers (my second anthology submission). I'm currently on my fifth draft of the story, and it's just starting to come into shape. I'm aiming to submit it this weekend, so fingers crossed.

As for Time Out. It would be nice to finish the first draft of that this weekend too. But it's developed a mind of it's own and it's pretty much doing whatever it wants, so I have no idea what sort of schedule it will adopt.

And that's it :)

No comments: